The Application Process
1. The application is available for upload.
2. Students who have a high school diploma from a school outside the United States must contact Admissions and Records for further information.
3. Complete the application, no transcripts required unless asked for by Admissions and Records.
4. In he event that there are more qualified applicants than spaces available in the class, students will be randomly selected by computer.
Application period: January 11, 2021 through 5:00pm March 5, 2021.
All applications are to be sent via Certified Mail to the Health Sciences Department, postmarked by the application deadline listed above.
Health Sciences Department
Santa Rosa Junior College
1501 Mendocino Avenue
Santa Rosa, California 95401
Letters of acceptance/non-acceptance into the Dental Assisting Program will be emailed to applicant approximately six weeks after the application deadline. Acceptance/non-acceptance information will not be given out over the phone.
Students who are accepted into the program are expected to attend/participate in the Dental Programs orientation session scheduled in June to discuss program requirements, health requirements, uniforms and instrument kits. Incoming student orientation video, required intake paperwork and immunization requirements(described below) can be found under the "Orientation: Dental Assisting Students" tab which will be available after the application deadline has passed.
Clinical Site Requirements:
1. Complete physical examination form. (Must use and submit a SRJC form). A physician or nurse practitioner must complete the physical within one year prior to entering the program.
2. Positive rubella and rubeola titer or positive antibody screen or MMR vaccine. (**)
3. Proof of second measles vaccine or MMR (minimum 4-6 weeks after initial MMR) for students born after 1957 or proof of immunity.(**)
4. Proof of negative PPD (TB test) (**) (annual requirement). The Health Sciences Department now requires the two-step PPD. You need to get the first PPD between June 1 and August 1 and the second PPD one to three weeks from the first shot. If positive PPD, documentation of a baseline chest x-ray (radiology report) taken within the last year must be produced. A symptom-free form completed by an MD or FNP will need to be filled out one year after the chest x-ray.
5. Proof of completed Hepatitis B vaccine series or Proof of first Hepatitis B vaccine MUST be completed by the first day of Fall semester classes (*).
6. Proof of Tetanus or tetanus/diphtheria (Tdap) documented within the last 10 years (*).
7. Copy of current CPR card, including adult, child, and infant and AED Required: American Heart Association Health Care Provider or BLS or American Red Cross BLS
8. Evidence of immunity to varicella (see chickenpox status statement) or Proof of Varicella vaccine. (*)
9. Proof of annual Flu vaccine gotten between September 1st and October 31st of each year in the the dental programs at SRJC.
(*) SRJC Student Health Services offers these immunizations for a fee.
(**) Can be obtained through SRJC Student Health Services or Public Health at little, or no cost.
Students will need to bring in their own photocopies of the required documentation, due to the Dental Programs Director or designee on the first day of Fall semester classes.
Program costs are approximate and do not include the California State Registered Dental Assisting examination and licensing fees. Costs may vary depending on costs associated with books, health requirements and tuition costs for students. Additional travel costs to clinical sites have not been included in these approximate costs.
(Supplies for Fall and Spring semesters)
Scrubs, lab coat, shoes, masks and gloves
Health Requirements for the program
Registration/Tuition 27.5 units @ $46.00 a unit (additional fees not included)
Amounts submitted by Jennifer Poovey – lead faculty for Dental Assisting
Prerequisite Information (program of study):
APPLICATION PROCESS: The application period for Fall 2021 is January 11, 2021 through 5:00pm March 5, 2021.
Do not contact the Health Sciences Department or the Director of Dental Assisting Departments for the status of you application. Notification will be sent via email as to the status of applications 6-8 weeks after the deadline -The Director of the Dental Assisting Program is not able to answer application status questions.
Jennifer Poovey, Director, Dental Assisting/Radiology Programs
1501 Mendocino Ave.
Santa Rosa CA 95401
Phone: (707) 535-3788